The Battle for Traffic: Differences Between Social Media and SEO
Nowadays, people are trying to drive traffic to their websites through all kinds of ways, and some of the most common ways are through social media marketing and SEO. The first thing that we have to understand here before we delve into the differences between social media and SEO is to understand their meanings. SEO stands for search engine optimization, and it is where people look for traffic to their websites through search engine rankings. SMM, or social media marketing, on the other hand, is all about generating traffic from social media sites such as Facebook. It is about connecting and building relationships with potential traffic. We can now go ahead and look at the differences between the two.
Audience and intent: The mindset of your potential visitors
One of the biggest differences between the two is that one group will most likely be browsing through their phone or tablet, or holding a mouse, while the other will be typing into a keyboard.
- Social Media – these happen to be people that you know a lot about, but know very little about what they are thinking. They are people that stumbled upon you whilst browsing through social media, and they are most likely to share your content to influence potential buyers.
- Search Optimization – you know what is on their mind, but nothing about who they are. They are more likely to buy because they know what they are looking for, but they are less likely to share or interact.
Topics: What works where
Know the topics that work for each channel.
- Social Media – the content that performs the best is the one that draws emotional responses such as anxiety, anger or love. Trending topics also perform very well.
- Search Optimization – content that has been researched does best, things like instructional posts or articles answering common questions. These are topics that are here to stay.
Formats: Which types of content will perform
What formats work best for the particular channels, is it text, videos, audios or images?
- Social Media – images and videos work best because they quickly get the attention of people, getting the most likes and shares.
- Search Optimization – long texts tend to do the trick here, with the pages ranking highest on Google having well over 1500 words. This also includes long, descriptive headings.
Speed: How long before you’ll see results
You need to know how much patience that you’ll need before the results come.
- Social Media – it could take a while to grow a following, but the posts are instant and so can be the results.
- Search Optimization – indexing and ranking could take a couple of days, while credibility could take several years to build so as to compete for valuable phrases.
There are many more differences between social media marketing and SEO, but we will leave those for another day. If you still don’t understand how to go about with these marketing strategies to get your website to rank, or drive traffic there, then you might want to consider trying out Jarni and his team of highly skilled SEO experts, www.kranu.fi. They have the knowhow to make your site rank well in search engines while you sit back and wait for the visits to convert to profits. Let Kranu set you off in the right direction while you’re still learning the skills, or if you have no time.
Marketing is important for our businesses, and now that almost everyone has gone digital around the world, it is about time that we embraced modern marketing techniques. It is all about SEO and social media marketing. If you can’t do it yourself, get a professional like Kranu to do it for you.